From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1992 12:53:28 EDT
For those only on hockey3, we have been trying to determine who all of the
DivII-only teams are.  This came up because Mankato State was denied in its
bid to go DivI this year and will be playing as a DivII Independent.  At least
from 1984 to this year, there has been no DivII national tournament, but
it appears possible that there will indeed be one this year.  (Maybe the name
of hockey3 will need to be changed to hockey2-3? :-))

It was suggested that there were 8 DivII teams.  Our SID at Merrimack says
he thinks there are 12.  Between he and I, we were able to come up with 10.

First, there's Mankato State and Bemidji State from Minnesota.

Next, there is New Hampshire College, which plays in a DivII sports league
with UMass-Lowell and a couple of others.  That's 3.

The other 7 come from the Northeast-10 Conference.  There are 10 schools in
this conference (no!) and all are categorized as DivII schools by the NC$$.
One is Merrimack, which plays DivI hockey.  Springfield College and Bryant
College do not play NC$$ hockey (Springfield has a club team, I'm not sure
about Bryant).  The other 7 Northeast-10 schools are in the ECAC East/North/
South, and they are:

American International College (AIC) - Springfield, MA
Assumption College - Worcester, MA
Bentley College - Waltham, MA
Quinnipiac College - Hamden, CT
St Anselm College - Manchester, NH
St Michael's College - Winooski, VT
Stonehill College - North Easton, MA

Also, Mercyhurst is apparently a DivII school.  But didn't they compete in the
DivIII tourney sometime recently?  They could be #11.  And, rumors also had
Alabama-Huntsville dropping back down to DivII.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*