From:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1992 13:38:20 U
 No MSG

Mike Machnik wrote:
 >From my perspective, NYC is a college hoop town, but definitely not a college
>hockey town.  Also, NYC is about as far away from most of the ECAC schools >as
Lake Placid is, and it has to cost much more to stage a final four at MSG.

I agree.  There are very few high schools in and around NYC that have hockey
programs, let alon colleges.  MSG does not serve as a good location for a post
season tournament for that reason.  In addition, as a fan, I'd rather not drive
into New York for these games.  Boston Gardent was so easy to get to; I just
get off the highway and zip into a parking garage.  I don't have to worry about
Bostonians' horrendous driving too much.  Going to MSG probably will mean
risking my life and my car.  :-)

I have mixed feelings about moving the ECAC championship to Lake Placid.
Though it seems to take also 6 hours to get there, like Beantown, there are so
many people with whom I can stay, or many hotels to choose.  What am I going to
do in Lake Placid?  All the hotels there will probably try to make money
knowing when people are coming for the games.  On the other hand, all the rich
history at the site....for Cornell anyway.

On a personal note, I recently became engaged to Rebecca Smith, who also works
at Cornell.  She's not on the hockey-l, but on the first (official) date we had
I took her to her first hockey game ever, Army vs. Cornell, in January 1990.
She had to leave for a concert at the Haunt (a local bar) at 10, when the game
went into overtime.  As luck would have it, Cornell beat Army in OT, 5-4,
giving me a reason and an excuse to call her again the next day.

We have not set a date for the wedding, but are looking at next June (of 1993).
 The wedding will probably take place in Maui, Hawaii, with honeymoon there and
other islands.  (I attended high school in Honolulu, and I family still lives
there ).

Tom Y. Tseng
Cornell '87, MEng '94 (yes, I also got into the grad school!)