From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:55:50 -0500
Saturday I had the opportunity to see Providence College play Merrimack in
Andover, and I'm very glad to have taken advantage of it!

The game was part of a special/festival day at MC, so I don't know how the
fan experience compares to the norm, but this night was lots of fun.

I arrived early and when turning into the mostly empty lot near the Volpe
Complex, a young man approached my vehicle, with 2 officers giving me the
once-over.  Oh, boy.  Great start. :-(    Well, the young man was *very*
pleasant ... I was early and there was no line of cars behind me ... he
greeted me (wow, that was unexpected!), explained how it cost $10 to park,
but I could go across the street and park for free (there were available
spaces!).  I gave him (MC) $10, thanked him and left the car with a smile.
What a good start for a college hockey game!

Outside the Volpe Complex (Lawler Arena and Volpe Center Gym) lights and
music blared.  There were games for the kiddies and the students were coming
in droves to have their small group photo taken and affixed to ceramic
mugs.  I entered to find the ticket office right in front of me, asked if
this was "Will Call" with a smile, and was greeted with a smile, a welcome
and directions to the Will Call window on the far side of the lobby.  At the
Will Call window, the smile and "Hello!" beat my question, and I was just
giddy. ;-)

There was a small army of game/operations/marketing people with suits or MC
shirts.  I was impressed that they were obviously trying (amongst
themselves), to quietly to make everything go smoothly.    Wow! Look at
that: $1 programs!   What a find.  Inside were a few pages packed with fun
facts(*), program and player info on both teams.  Included were the lineups
as given to the media.  Very impressive and this made it easier to follow
the players and lines.  Wrapping this was a double-letter-size poster of
freshman sensation Stephane Da Costa.  An impressive package and only $1!
Again, a sincere smile and an "Enjoy the game" came with my program.  If MC
can play like the marketing I'm seeing so far, this will be a good game!

I hung out in the lobby until people started into entering the arena.  I was
dismayed a bit that the lobby, concessions and rest rooms  were separated
from the rink by the ticket takers, but that's the way it is.  Later, as I
re-entered the rink, the same ticket taker recognized me and waived me
through; yea, I know I was without a jacket, and this was winter in
northeastern MA, but she, as everyone I had met was engaged in her job.

The rink and setup is definitely sub-par for D-I hockey, but sight-lines are
unobstructed.   Light on the ice was less than optimal, despite a false,
low,white ceiling over the ice.  The scoreboards are at each end arena,
resulting in many or most fans looking though the end zone netting to see
them.  From my center ice seat, I could read the score and clock, but almost
nothing on the "Message board".  Except for a pair of sections behind the MC
bench, all seating was of the wooden bleacher type.  I was very happy to
have chosen a back row ... fronting the press box.   There was an MC pep
band, but they were a non-factor.  From the (very good) arena speakers,
fairly loud, upbeat, piped-in music was played at almost every moment from
when I entered the arena though when I left, excepting (a very good) public
address announcer bits of information and, well, game play.

My seat was directly behind the timer/announcer, and this gave me my first
first-hand observation of "instant replay".  Merrimack had scored, but a
linesman had appeared to have indicated the puck may have been kicked in.
120 feet away, my neighbors and I mostly thought the "scorer" missed the
puck with his stick and kicked it in.   As Lawler has over the goal cameras
and the game would be rebroadcast on cable TV, I was ready to see what
really happened!   But the only replay camera was over the goal.   MC fans
were obviously worried with the length of the "instant replay" look by
referee Benedetto, but the length was not determined by Benedetto or the
play itself, but by problems with replay, or the replay operator.  In the
end, the replay was inconclusive, as the MC contact was outside the field of
view of the camera.  One could *guess* that the puck had been directed to
the back of the net by a skate, by the position the skate and stick when
they came into view (a split-second after the puck came whizzing to the
goal).   With the evidence available, the correct call was made (the red
line ref called the goal; I don't know exactly what the linesman saw or was
"sure" about or how much his opinion matters ... probably not much when it
comes to scoring), and the home town fans rejoiced!

While the game was reasonably interesting, it was more a defensive struggle,
without too much crisp passing and accurate shooting.

I thought PC played like a team ready to lose; almost like playing for a tie
in some of the 3rd period.  The best things they did was to shoot through
traffic and not take penalties. :-(

MC has such potential.  I was disappointed that they didn't give their
skilled players more ice time.  I thought their 4th line nearly cost them a
loss numerous times throughout the game.  I know many teams play 4 lines
while another the other coach might not, but the first line or two always
had additional shifts when special teams didn't wear them out.

I would have played the 4th line less, not liking #20 Flanigan hanging deep
at center ice with possession contested in the defensive zone ... and #16
Robitaille (hustling, but risky ... maybe that's the word ... play),
especially after his 2nd penalty ... but he kept getting sent out ...
development or confidence in his/their potential, I suppose, was the
coaching decision?

Braithwaite was strong in goal (as was Beaudry), despite a lot of traffic in
front of him and a few rebounds sent straight out in front.

There were times of great excitement and periods that must have been
difficult to "color" on the radio, but I'm really happy I was finally able
to get to see the Volpe Complex and Merrimack at home ... definitely a good
show ... how appropriate to play "I've got a feeling" after the game!

I picked my seat so that I could stand up, since that's what I do at Maine,
for 25+ years ushering and the past 3 in the stands with the students.  As
with a recent game in Matthews Arena, my neighbor was friendly.  Saturday,
it was an Andover local .. a retired HS guidance councilor .. who enjoyed
the game and obviously his season ticket and the Warriors very much.  We
exchanged many stories during the game, hockey and otherwise.  He did remind
me that while this game was perhaps 75% of capacity, when the Maine-iacs
come to town, the place is full and loud.  When I suggested the current
fund-raising to, among other things, turn the wooden bleachers into
individual nice seats, I was surprised to hear a less than enthusiastic
response ... he was worried that the price for those seats would be going
up.  Aren't we all.  (Tickets were $10, but free coupons were available for
$5 and there were lots of families and father/son pairs and even a promotion
with a local organization ... another excellent job by MC marketing).

Anyway, my PC@MC adventure was a great one, reminding me yet again how much
I like college hockey and the experience.

Cheers, Wayne