Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:53:56 -0500
Amo Bessone, 'Father of Spartan Hockey' Passes Away

Bessone held longest term of any Michigan State hockey coach

Monday, Jan. 11, 2010

East Lansing, Mich. - Amo Bessone, who spent 28 years as the head coach
of the Michigan State hockey and guided the Spartans to the 1966 NCAA
title, has passed away in New Mexico. Bessone was 93.

"I'm saddened by Amo's passing for sure, but I was thrilled to know him
as a young coach and continue that relationship as I joined the Michigan
State program," noted Michigan State head coach Rick Comley. "Amo is
part of that group of coaches who made NCAA hockey what it is today ...
he, Murray Armstrong, John MacInnes, John Mariucci. He also impacted the
Michigan State program in so many ways, not the least of which is a
commitment to being involved in the community, which continues today. He
is a legend, and he will be missed."

"We are saddened by the loss of a true Spartan," commented Michigan
State Athletics Director Mark Hollis. "Amo Bessone was a part of the
fabric not only of the Michigan State athletics program, but also the
surrounding community. He was dedicated to our athletes as well as
growing the sport he loved so much. His influence on the game of college
hockey and on the Michigan State hockey program is one we cherish, and
will continue to honor."

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/011110aaa.html