From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 2009 12:55:41 -0500

I am not Native American so perhaps I am not one criticize.  Yet, I cannot help but feel the use of "Fighting Sioux" should not be offensive.  It does not demean the tribe or people - sports teams are supposed to be "fighters" and the logo, unlike Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians, seems respectful enough to me.  I just can't get my head around this one.  I was rooting for ND to hold out on this one.  I still think they could win a court battle against the NCAA if sanctions were imposed.

Still, if a change must be made, how about the "Fighting Sue" with a logo of a woman?  Or maybe to appease them, make it the "Fantastically Intelligent Great Hair Trying Important New Genres Sioux" with the logo of a featherless, generic long haired male head.

Please don't flame me for the stupid paragraph above.  Its merely a reflection of how stupid I think the whole thing is in the first place.

Tom Rowe
Stevens Point, WI