From:
"Steven W. Rockey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:44:04 -0400
Nathan Hampton wrote in part:
>  Why not take the top 16 (by the PWR or RPI
>or KRACH) and forego any and all automatic bids? The top 16 are the best by
>whatever formula says they are, we can then just argue over the components
>of the formula. But why not the top 12 or 16?

This has some appeal but it eliminates a team that got better in the second
half and made a great run to their league championship.  I think these
underdog teams deserve to be in the NCAA.   Of course the flip side is a
team that is in the bottom of the top 16 but got worse in the second half
and choked in their league tournament.  I am not so interested in seeing
them in the NCAA.

Steven W. Rockey
Director of the Mathematics Library
420B Malott Hall