From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:20:39 -0500
Here is information I received from a friend of mine who was a big fan of
Dartmouth hockey back in Harkness' reign at Cornell:

Although Cornell is a private university and is forbidden to give athletic
scholarships as part of their membership agreement with the Ivy league, part
of Cornell (the school of Agriculture, I believe) was part of the SUNY
(State University of New York). Harkness somehow played the loophole that
since SUNY was "separate" from the private Cornell, those students enrolled
at SUNY were eligible for hockey scholarships. Ned scoured the plains of
Canada from Ontario west to recruit for his spectacularly successful Cornell
team. My friend recalls going to a game in Hanover, NH when Cornell came to
town and the Dartmouth students crafted and hung a huge banner over one end
of the rink that said: "Welcome to the Future Farmers of Canada"