From:
"Billy G. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 12:19:58 -0400
Drakelore wrote:

> I too am of the same opinion that Tom and Cathy are.  And like Cathy,
> I did not know that the North Dakota Indian Tribes were against the
> logo.  My understanding, too, was that they did not mind its use.
>
> However (and we all know this), I think the NCAA are a bunch of
> hypocrites!  If they REALLY believed in this rule with their hearts
> and souls, then there should be NO chance to appeal at all.  Even if
> the tribes have no problem with the logo.    But then, I suppose
> someone at the ACLU would get involved and say that if a tribe DID
> like the use of the logo, then the NCAA rule was deterring the
> promotion of the Indian culture.
>
> I don't have the e-mail anymore, but I believe someone sent the NCAA
> bylaws out to us.  I don't remember reading anywhere in their articles
> that they had the right to get into national social debates.  So to
> me, they should not be involved in this discussion at all.
>
> Kathy M.
> (Tampa)
> Go Gophers!

Whatever you think about the use of Native American images as
caricatures for athletic teams, the NCAA by providing the right to
appeal is not being "hypocritical."  In fact, the right to appeal is
embodied in our Constitution.  All sorts of governing bodies,
professional associations, volunteer organizations and even many
corporations provide a means of appeal if you disagree with their decisions.

And as far as getting into "national social debates" goes, a national
organization such as the NCAA can't help but get into economic,
political and social debates.  Its very existence and mission are at the
center of a national debate about the role of athletics in the academic
community.

B. Taylor
RPI, '74