From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 20:08:59 -0800
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Contact Dave Geringer, Sports Information Director
Phone: 907-474-6807

Nanook Hockey Adds Defenseman Zach Gieszler

FAIRBANKS, AK- The University of Alaska Fairbanks’ hockey team has signed its eighth recruit for next season, and third of the spring signing period.

Zach Gieszler (GEEZ-ler), a 6-0, 195 pound defenseman from Tigard, Oregon and the Williams Lake Timberwolves of the British Columbia Hockey league will join the Nanooks for the 2005-06 season. He will enter UAF in the fall, and will have four years of eligibility.

Gieszler scored six goals and added 17 assists for 23 points in 52 games. He had 95 penalty minutes.

“We’re very excited to add Zach to our back end,” said UAF Assistant Coach Wade Klippenstein. “He will bring a real spirit, not only in games, but also in practice. Zach is very competitive, and he takes a lot of pride in his own end. Zach’s work ethic and commitment to the game of hockey puts him above the crowd. He’s a very hard worker, and he got great experience playing at Williams Lake in all situations.”

“Zach is a great kid, he’ll give 100 per cent every shift,” said Williams Lake General Manager Kevin Nohr, a UAF alumnus. “He’s feisty and he’s nasty, he has great hands and skates very well, and he’ll be a great college hockey player for you guys.  Zach was one of our best captains as far as leadership on and off the ice. He loves doing things in the community, and he’s a great team player.”

Gieszler plans to join the Reserve Officers Training Corps when he arrives at UAF, and the Battalion Commander of the Nanook Battalion, Lieutenant Colonel Cam Carlson, said he’ll be welcomed with open arms.

“Zach brings an elite level of fitness to the ROTC program, and he will serve as a role model for most of the cadets,” said Carlson. “This will be one of the first times that the Cadet Command will have an elite hockey player. People like Zach bring a level of athleticism into our program that is paramount for a young office to have. We look for scholars, athletes, and leaders, and we get an athlete, the scholar and the leader piece usually follows.”

Gieszler joins goalie Brandon Cross of the Merritt Centennials of the British Columbia Hockey League, forward Trevor Hyatt of the Estevan Bruins of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, defenseman Steve Van Oosten of the Williams Lake Timberwolves of the British Columbia Hockey League, goaltender Chad Johnson from the Brooks Bandits of the Alberta Junior Hockey League, defenseman Tyler Eckford of the South Surrey Eagles of the BCHL and forwards Kyle Jones of the Trail Smoke Eaters of the BCHL and Adam Naglich of the Victoria Salsa of the BCHL as members of the Nanooks’ current recruiting class.

-UAF HOCKEY-