From:
Nathan Hampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:58:16 -0500
If supply (which does not change in number) is greater than demand ( which
does vary year to year or site to site), then the consequence is a reduction
in price. Checking Ebay for bids right now on a set of tickets, the average
bid price for a three game SET of tickets is $50 (where face value is $48
per game or $144 per set).

The lack of demand is due to reasons already mentioned. Lets face it,
Columbus has no non-hockey excitement as does Boston (history), or Anaheim
(Disneyland, the beach). Nor does it have as solid a hockey fan base as
Boston or Milwaukee. And four teams from the same conference does Columbus
no favors either.

The face value of the tickets is not the correct price to be comparing when
looking at ticket prices from one site to another. When the Frozen Four is
in other sites, the fair and market price of the tickets is much ABOVE face
value. People who get tickets in advance through the lottery get a great and
fabulous deal. This year, the deal is not so great and those who paid
through the lottery paid more for the tickets then they are worth to other
buyers. Some year you win and some years you lose. But if you expect to see
a frozen four in the future, and the value of what you experience is greater
than the face (or selling) value of the tickets, then it is well worth while
to stay in the lottery. I am perfectly happy to get tickets and not use
them. If that keeps me in the market (er, lottery) for future ones, then
that is just part of the price I pay to get future tickets, along with the
handling charge of the NCAA and the interest I pay on my credit card, and
the interest I give them for keeping my money for X-number of months.

Nathan Hampton