From:
Moller Edward N <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:11:50 -0500
Blame your bloated wallet on the Cincinnati chamber of commerce.  I was
astounded by the lack of outreach by the city that weekend to the
tourists.  No one was available to point out any fun places to go, there
was nothing around the area that would let the locals know that
something was happening, and the town is pretty much a morgue.  I spoke
with locals, and they were pretty much at sea about the whole thing.

One thing I'll always remember about the community's outreach that
weekend was the newspaper coverage in the Cincinnati Enquirer.  The
Enquirer has a Pulitzer prize-winning political cartoonist named Jim
Borgman.  He was assigned to give his take on the events at the
Riverfront Coliseum.  What he provided was a "funny" profile of hockey
penalties as a primer to the rules of the game, which was nothing more
than a salute to goonism.

Everyone remembers the debacle on the ice, but the entire scene was a
joke.  Part of the problem was the lack of activities on the north side
of the Ohio River.  All of the restaurants and bars are in Covington,
KY, but all of the hotels and the arena are in Cincinnati.  A poor
formula to say the least.  And it didn't help matters that not even the
1960 Montreal Canadiens were going to beat Michigan that year.  The
lesson to the NC$$ is not to place a hockey event where the locals hate
hockey or where there is nothing for the visiting fans to do during the
off hours.

Edward N. Moller
Controller and Assistant Treasurer
Mount Ida College