From:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:17:27 -0500
Earlier, I remarked on what Mark Lewin wrote:
>I, personally, am in favor of the NCAA rule changes to try to reduce the
>clutching and grabbing and to open up the game more.

However, I don't think that changing the way the game is officiated is the
whole answer.  What do people think about going to an Olympic-sized
sheet?  The nominal North American rink is 200 x 85 feet, with some
allowance in both dimensions, plus I think that there are standards for the
radius of the corners.  Olympic/European/International/whatever rinks add
15 feet to the width.

The argument goes that the larger area:
- opens up more area
- puts a premium on speed and maneuverability
- creates more passing space

I realize that this can be impractical in old buildings.  But how about
mandating that in new buildings, they at least have space for 200x100, if
not actually building it right now?

Joe
--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at: