Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:24:00 EDT
_WWW.UNION.EDU_ (http://www.union.edu/)
<<AD Val Belmonte leaving to head U.S. Figure Skating

Val Belmonte, director of athletics at Union College, has announced he will
leave the College at the end of September to become executive director of U.S.
 Figure Skating, the national governing body of the sport, based in Colorado
Springs.
"Val has done great things for Union athletics in his time here and he will
be sorely missed," said Roger Hull, president of Union College. "It speaks
well  for Val and for the College that he was chosen to lead such a prestigious
organization."
Belmonte joined the College July 1, 2000.
For the past three years, Union has finished among the top in the standings
for the United States Sports Academy Directors' Cup, last year finishing 63rd
based on finish in the NCAA or NAIA championships. The College was 57th in
2002-03, and 59th in 2001-02. About 430 Div. III colleges and universities are
eligible for ranking.
Last year, Union had four UCAA players of the year, two UCAA coaches of the
year; 42 all conference selections in the UCAA, 83 all-academic honors; and
the  14 NCAA All American selections.
Also during Belmonte's tenure, the College constructed a complex with seating
 and press box at Frank Bailey Field, renovated Achilles Center and dedicated
 Frank Messa Rink, and began construction of the Viniar Sports Complex, a
facility for men's and women's basketball to be dedicated this year. The College
 is completing construction of an artificial field complex at the Inn at
College  Park, the former Ramada Inn.
Belmonte also was instrumental in the recent restructuring of the ECAC Div. I
 men's hockey league, in which Union participates.
Before joining Union, Belmonte was director of USA Hockey's coaching program,
 a position he held since 1991. Prior to that, he served as assistant
athletic  director and head hockey coach at the University of Illinois-Chicago and
assistant hockey coach at Harvard University. He received his B.S. from the
University of Illinois-Chicago and an M.Ed. from the University of North Dakota.
 He is a member of the U.S. Olympic Committee's coaching committee, working
with  U.S. coaches in a variety of Olympic sports. He is the author or editor
of  publications including Coaches Ethics Code and a number of hockey  coaching
manuals.
"My experience at Union has prepared me well for this next step in my
career," said Belmonte.  "I want to thank Union College President Roger  Hull and
Vice President of Academic Affairs Christie Sorum for their support,  and I wish
all of Union's coaches and student-athletes great success in their  quest for
achieving sustained competitive excellence."
Dwight Wolf, associate dean for academic services and planning, will add the
job of interim director of athletics to his portfolio, Sorum said. He will be
 working closely with Ramsey Baker, associate director of athletics; Joanne
Little, assistant director; and other staff. The College will start a search
for  a permanent successor in the coming year, she said.
U.S. Figure Skating is recognized by the U.S. Olympic Committee and the
International Skating Union. The association, comprised of more than 585 member
clubs and 170,000 members, is charged with the development of athletes and
officials, event organization and rules.
"We are thrilled to have Val join the staff of U.S. Figure Skating," said
U.S. Figure Skating President Chuck Foster. "He brings a wealth of experience
and knowledge to this position, and it is wonderful to have him in this
important leadership role as we begin the 2004-2005 season. He is a welcome
addition to the organization and to the  sport.">>