From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:22:57 -0500
Anyone think it's at all worth it to petition the NC$$ to leave the Boston
Bruins "Honored Numbers" banners up during this year's Frozen Four ?

Last appearance of the NC$$ at the Fleet Center, all the banners at the
Fleet Center were taken down.  I can certainly understand (yet disappointed
still) that they would remove all the Celtics banners as well but I think it
is a rotten shame not to acknowledge ten greats of the game of hockey as
recognized by an Original Six team.

Nothing about the men whose names appear on the Bruins banners would
dishonor or otherwise besmirch the integrity of the college game.  Nor, in
my opinion, is the commercial message of the underwriters of the NC$$ in any
way compromised should those ten names remain aloft.  Those banners won't
even show on camera (unlike dasher ads).

I mean, it's not "Harry Budweiser" or "Fred Toyota" whose names appear
aloft...it's Shore, Hitchman, Orr, Clapper, Esposito, Neely, Bucyk, Schmidt,
O'Reilly and Bourque...

If any of the living members of this esteemed group were to attend any of
the three games, NC$$ officials would most certainly welcome them...

I think of these men as role models as to how to play the game.  What
possible reason is there to take those names down this next time ?

If the NC$$ is concerned about reputation concerning these banners, let me
state I think LESS of the NC$$ when they become the "image police" and have
the names removed.