From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:35:30 -0800
What is the effect of the UMass Lowell forfeits?

For Hockey East playoffs, it looks to me like it really doesn’t affect much.  For the playoffs, it
might make a difference as to how Maine/UMass and maybe BC match up against BU/Providence and
maybe Merrimack, but BU and Providence don’t have much of a different record, and neither has been
a particularly good road team.  It could also make a difference as to the venue of a UNH/UMass
Lowell matchup.

But what is the effect of the forfeits on PWR and KRACH?

I assume that since PWR is actually used by the NCAA, it is obliged to count forfeits as losses,
regardless of the on-ice result.  But what does KRACH do?  If the point of KRACH were to
supplement the PWRs, then I’d think that they’d have to count the forfeits as losses.  But if its
goal were to give a true ranking of teams, then you could make an argument that they it should use
on-ice results.  What actually happens?

Right now, the ECAC, CHA, and Atlantic Hockey will need to rely on their automatic bids, which
leaves 13 slots in the tournament.  Currently, 12-13-14 in the PWRs  are UMass Amherst, Wisconsin
and Michigan State.  Ironically, UMass Amherst and Michigan State are two teams that have just had
a loss flipped to a win (two for UMass Amherst), which may jeopardize the next three teams, UNH,
Miami, and Ohio State.

Clay