From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:43:50 -0500
Thanks for the reply, Tom!

Rowe, Thomas wrote:
> Well, I'm no guru with regards to the methods used to calculate rankings
> and I'm sure this will even out as the season progresses but there are
> some serious anomolies.  I was curious to see who was ranked 4th by

If you want serious anomalies, try ranking football teams that play a
dozen or less games ;-)

> RHEAL since WI had three 4's and a 5 so paged down and found it at Ohio
> State.  That seemed anomolous, but then looked at OSU closer - the only
> reason this looks anomolous is that OSU was slammed by KRACH - 13th
> compared to 4, 5 and 7.  So I'm wondering - why is OSU so low on KRACH?

I suspect it's more that the HEALs are totally enamored with the CCHA.
RHEAL, especially, will strongly bias rankings toward the member league.

Also, I'm guessing that Krach "sees" the OSU loss to Mercyhurst as
structurally important, whereas it's simply a loss as far as HEAL is
concerned.

OSU's strong remaining schedule will raise their standing significantly,
if they continue their winning way.

I'm more surprised that Mercyhurst is only ranked 45th and Holy Cross is
  (only) the Miracle on 34th by Krach.  They play Atlantic Hockey, but
each have had a tremendous first half season.

> Similarly, why does KRACH  treat Alaska-Anchorage with such respoct?

There is a "1" in front of the "5" of UAA in the Hockey-L archives and
in my original lists. That is, Krach has UAA at #15 this week. Maybe
some of your pixels are on holiday, Tom? ;-)

It's also possible that my Krach calculation is somehow flawed, since
Mr. Whelen and USCHO haven't yet published Krach for this season ... but
my calculation is largely unchanged from last season ... when, though
unpublished, it did match their numbers.

Unrelated to Tom's remarks, I find the #9, 10 and 11 teams (UMass,
Dartmouth and Brown) to be interesting ... not by their placement, but
because they're so good this year (See this week's USCHO article on
UMass).  UMass has a bunch of good players playing at a very high level
and Dartmouth has good players playing intensely at times, albeit
without an ounce of good sportsmanship. I haven't seen Brown.

Ho ho ho, wayne

--

Wayne T. Smith -- [log in to unmask]
University of Maine System -- UNET -- Systems Software Analyst