From:
Bob Woodbury <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Woodbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:52:56 -0500
Third seeded Michigan beats top-ranked CC 5-3 (ENG) at Yost. Like last
night, the Wolverines got the benefit of a power play in the final three
minutes. Now, each of the "big leagues" has a representative at the
Frozen Four.

Had to work last night, but watched the tape today and Maine played
really well. Doyle was the right choice. I feel bad for Marty because
he's the only brother without a national championship. (See:
http://sports.mainetoday.com/college/hockey/030330sollum.shtml). Defense
was the weak link. We need help there next season. Doyle and Howard will
be tough to beat next year. And I think after what happened this year,
both will be around for the next two years.

Michigan played the kind of hustling, aggressive hockey Maine fans
enjoyed during the two national championship years, last year and the
first part of this. The problem with that kind of hockey is giving up
odd man rushes. Didn't happen much to Michigan, the sign of a great team.

I think this weekend makes Michigan the favorite next week against
Minnesota, even though they won't be playing at home. That hurts because
Duluth is my second home.

 UNH/Cornell too close to call, and as much as I want Hockey East and my
good friend Scott Borek (assistant at UNH) at to well, I think I have to
overcome my ECAC bias and go with the Big Red. But I want to be wrong.

Then, another national championship for one of the class acts in college
hockey, the other Red.

Great hockey this past weekend. I love my satellite. Great hockey next
weekend. And I'll be home recovering from Wednesday cataract  surgery.