From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:55:54 -0500
This isn't directly college hockey related, but nevertheless of interest
to the Hockey-l community.

OK--College hockey content: Anyone know if Mark Morris will be coaching
on Friday night at RPI?

>                     PRINT EDITION
>                     Father files suit after son fails to win
>                     MVP award
>
>                     New Brunswick man seeks $300,000
>                     in damages from hockey association
>

>                     By SHAWNA RICHER
>                     Thursday, November 7, 2002 ? Page S1
>
>                     A New Brunswick father is suing the provincial
> amateur
>                     hockey association after his 16-year-old son failed
> win
>                     the league's most-valuable-player award.
>
>                     Michael Croteau is seeking $300,000 in psychological
> and punitive damages
>                     from the association. He is also demanding that the
> MVP
> trophy be taken
>                     from the boy who won it and given to his son,
> Steven,
> as well as the league's
>                     playmaker award, which was awarded to a different
> boy.
> Croteau also wants
>                     Steven to be guaranteed a spot on the New Brunswick
> Canada Winter
>                     Games roster.
>
>                     In an interview yesterday from his home on Lameque
> Island, N.B., Croteau
>                     said Steven was so crushed after losing the New
> Brunswick Bantam AAA
>                     MVP award at a banquet in March that he lost his
> love
> for playing hockey.
>                     That, his father argues, resulted in Steven failing
> pursue the Canada Games
>                     tryouts in which he had been excelling.
>
>                     The league's nine coaches or managers vote for MVP.
> The
> voting is not
>                     disclosed.
>
>                     Steven, who plays for the Acadian Peninsula AAA
> team,
> stands 5 foot 4 and
>                     weighs 119 pounds. His father said he's grown two
> inches in the past year
>                     and two seasons ago was the league's rookie of the
> year.
>
>                     Steven led the league this season with 45 goals and
> 42
> assists in 27 games.
>                     The league MVP, Lucas Martin who plays for Moncton,
> had
> 21 goals and 39
>                     assists, fourth in the league.
>
>                     "How do you justify that?" Croteau said. "It's quite
> obvious he's the most
>                     valuable forward in the league."
>
>                     Brian Whitehead, in his fourth season as New
> Brunswick
> Amateur Hockey
>                     Association executive director, said he could not
> comment on the specifics of
>                     the lawsuit.
>
>                     "I'm not at liberty to talk about the statement of
> claim at this time," Whitehead
>                     said from his office in Fredericton. "But yes,
> there is
> a monetary sum attached
>                     to it."
>
>                     Whitehead, who said he received the suit on Oct. 28,
> referred the matter to
> [...]
Morris                                    RPI Engineers
[log in to unmask]                   Best chance in a while to sweep
the North County pair