From:
Cathryn Spreeman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cathryn Spreeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:32:56 -0400
Wow,

What a weekend!  I just read Carol's post to Hockey-L about Friday's game.
I think that was the most exciting and fun game I've seen in years.  I left
the Whitt thinking how glad I was that neither team lost that game, as both
played so well (with the exception of UNH's missing second period.)  My
husband and I went to St. Paul for the Frozen Four and came away with very
warm memories of Minnesota and the Minnesota fans.  I wasn't sure there
would be any at the Whitt this weekend, but there were.  I hope they were
made to feel welcome.

The throwing of two fish, by the way, is the result of the University's
director of athletics and his control issues.  The students who have thrown
out the fish for YEARS are the members of an unrecognized fraternity, Zeta
Chi.  They lost their recognition many years ago (formerly Theta Chi).  This
year, Marty Scarano announced that Zeta Chi would no longer be permitted to
throw the fish and that the honor of doing so would rotate to various
recognized groups or individuals.  Well, a lot of us figure you cannot take
away what you never conferred in the first place, and the "official" fish is
followed onto the ice by the Zeta Chi fish.  The Zeta Chi fellow then
promptly leaves the arena.

Saturday's game was great also, and I have to say, I myself did not
appreciate the UNH students chanting "Overrated" at the Minnesota players.
That is a GREAT team, with great speed and fantastic stickhandling.  All in
all, it was a fabulous hockey weekend!

Cathryn C. Spreeman

University of New Hampshire