From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:27:04 -0400
Although I thought the officiating was inconsistent I didn't find it too bad.
Maybe I'm settling for too low a standard, especially after witnessing
some the Western Regionals this year.  There was a definite whistle
swallowing in the overtime period.  You could probably predict that, with
the officials not wanting to call something that hands the game to one
team or the other.

I don't think they had a choice but to call the one penalty in OT as the
Minnesota player was in a position of advantage which could have turned
into a scoring opportunity.  However, I expected the least infraction on the
part of Minnesota to result in a even-up penalty.  That didn't happen,
despite Hauser's best attempt to give them an excuse.

Hauser had become more and more aggressive in defending the goal
area through the game.  There had been incursions earlier in the game.  I
don't recall if the most blatant one (a trip) was during the penalty or not,
but he did give at least one chance for a penalty call.  I noticed that during
a stoppage, a player was sent from the bench to talk with Hauser.  There
was no opportunity to see if it had an effect as Minnesota scored shortly
after that.

Doug Peterson