From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:56:50 -0600
Jim Love, looking for trouble and finding it, writes:

>   Sigh .... I guess it's too much to ask that the author of such a piece
> actually proof her work before committing such an atrociously error-
> filled article to print.  This is what happens when kids raised on "whole
> language" curricula grow up to be reporters :-(

The error has already been corrected.  Here's how the story appears now:

<<begin quote>>
The Hobey Baker Award committee announced today that Gophers defenseman Jordan
Leopold, St. Cloud State forward Mark Hartigan and New Hampshire forward Darren
Haydar are the finalists for the award given to college hockey's top player.

Leopold, a senior from Golden Valley, is tied for the NCAA Division I scoring
lead among defensemen with 46 points. His 20 goals this season set a Gophers
record for most goals by a defenseman in a season.

Haydar, a senior, leads the nation with 76 points and was chosen the Hockey
East player of the year. Both players also were Hobey finalists last season,
and both will play in the NCAA Frozen Four on April 4-6 at Xcel Energy Center.

Hartigan, the WCHA player of the year, leads Division I with 37 goals, and his
75 points tie him with the Gophers' John Pohl for second place in overall
scoring. Hartigan, who has completed his eligibility at St. Cloud State, signed
with the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers today.
<<end quote>>

It looks more like a copy editing problem than the writer's error.  Rachel
Blount is not ignorant.

-- Erik