From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 03:12:58 -0600
Brian, one seemingly viable alternative to going the full distance toward
putting a Final Four in a "nontraditional" area to generate interest could
be to use a holiday tournament like the EverBlades in Florida.  However, I
think that would be ineffective in the areas that are most conducive to
development because it's unlikely you'd find sponsoring schools interested
in those areas and scheduling imported teams during the busy holiday period
isn't likely to grab  the local crowd's attention.

The national championship weekend is a different animal that comes to town
with its own built-in clout and demands attention.  I think the combined
benefits of expanding college hockey's area of interest and bringing the
sport to alumni who have just as much right to have it brought to them as
the alumni who parked themselves next door to the campus upon graduation
more than justify picking a nontraditional site EVERY FEW YEARS, . . . where
that can be done successfully.

BTW, using Omaha as an example, that would NOT be a nontraditional site
you'd target to promote college hockey.  The area already has all the
interest it needs.  Omaha is a viable option as a traditional site with
enough to offer attendees to make them glad they came.

Another point, continuing the example of Dallas.  Whether or not you create
a new college hockey program in the nontraditional area isn't the only
measure of success.  An area with a growing supply of potential players is
going to supply them to something.  It can supply them to existing college
programs if that interest is generated or it can supply them to major junior
leages if that's who gets the foot in the regional door.  College hockey can
perceptively cultivate interest or it can watch the grass grow under its
feet.  I think the arguments for letting the grass grow are mostly coming
from folks who just don't want to lose the luxury of having all the benefits
in their own backyard.  I don't think that's a good reason.

boB