From:
Brian Wilantowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:48:23 -0500
Now I wouldn't mind traveling to Alabama...somewhere that I would
otherwise probably not visit,,,to see the Frozen Four,  Or...how about
Omaha?  I got a chance to see a UNO game there in 2000 and had a good
experience.  I don't quite remember the capacity of the Civic Center
though.

Point is these are places maybe not so well known for tourism but having
the tournament there would give those communities an opportunity to show
that they strongly support college hockey.  Because that is what it
should really be about anyway...college hockey...the Frozen Four...and
not economics or glitz.

I must preface this by saying that I did not attend the games in Anaheim
and maybe I would feel diferently if I had.  Those that did attend the
games may be able to shed some light on the Anaheim community's support
of the Frozen Four there.  I actually seem to remember that most posts
were favorable. This is not meant to bash California, Florida, Texas or
wherever...I understand there are many good college hockey fans in parts
of the country where there aren't any D1 teams.  But if I want to go to
Disneyland or the beach I would book a trip to go there.  If I wanted to
see the NHL Dallas Stars play I would go to Dallas.  The Dallas
community's support of the Stars does not say much about it's support of
college hockey.  All you need to do is look at the metro NYC area to
figure that just because a city supports its NHL franchise does not mean
it supports college hockey.  I am simply in favor of having the NCAA
tournament at or near a location where there are at least a sizeable
number of college hockey fans and strong support from the community.  I
sympathize with those college hockey fans that have limited coverage of
the sport.  I am hard pressed to even find short blurbs in the newspaper
on college hockey games.  But on the other hand I am glad that college
hockey is not driven by economics or the media as much as basketball and
footbal are.  I can also usually buy tickets to an excellent game within
a few hours from me without going broke.

OK enough of my ranting...just my opinion....