From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:13:06 -0600
After being in Michigan for last weekend's games and learning that
Saginaw was just awarded the OHL major junior franchise that was losing
money in North Bay, Ontario, I have a couple questions for anyone who's
up on major junior implications.

1. There was murmuring at one time about the NCAA reconsidering its
position on eligibility of major junior players.  Is that still a
possible development or is their ineligibility set in stone?

2.  Some vague language in news reports gave me the impression that
major junior's college tuition plan might be pretty skimpy.  Are
benefits possibly limited to Canadian schools near the player's home?  I
believe Saginaw will be the third US franchise for the OHL.  Plymouth
(MI) and Erie are the others.  Could Saginaw's older players get tuition
to run across the street to Saginaw Valley State U?

boB