From:
Michael Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 20:03:19 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 3:14 PM
Subject: Brook's comments

> I dont know how many of you saw Herb Brook's comments in yesterday's
> paper. Some of them are very interesting:
>
> ".. he bluntly admits that if he had is way, NHL players wouldnt be here
> at all. He would rather "give young players a chance to develop more and
> become known to the public."  Sounds like college hockey to me.

I have to admit, the whole argument that we should go back to college
players goes right past me.  The premier international tournament in
existence should feature the premier international players in existence.
Watching these guys on the big rink produces some the absolute best hockey
I've ever seen.  I just wish that they'd leave the NHL *refs* at home, since
they seem incapable of calling a game by the international rules.

And the people who argue that the pros don't care as much, won't feel the
honor of playing for their country  and won't put in the effort haven't been
watching.

> I am not sure I agree with this last conclusion. I more agree with the
> few comments on the list that NHL fans prefer to see the fights and
> blood and hitting rather than hockey. In fact, when you say hockey, most
> fans think of fights first rather than a player weaving thru the defense
> into the offensive zone.

The ratings don't seem to agree with you.  Olympic hockey is completely
destroying the NHL numbers.  Part of this, certainly, is the fact that it
*is* the Olympics.  But the way that every network that tries to broadcast
the NHL gets killed indicates that there is something else needed to tap
that market.  Even within the arena, I get the sense that this worry is
overblown.  While some fans would certainly be alienated by eliminating the
fighting, I think there are at least as many who wouldn't be.  At the risk
of stereotyping, I'd say that the dramatic increase in female hockey fans
I've noticed around the NHL plays a role in this.

And the Olympics certainly indicate that there would still be plenty of
hitting; that's an aspect of the game that has been quite noticeable.

> I also dont know where he got $100 from. My daughter got us excellent
> seats to a Sharks game several years ago .. mid ice up a little bit and
> they are about 160 apiece. Maybe he means AVERAGE?

I've gotten pretty good seats, 20th row in the corner, to Wild games for
about $60.  They go as low as $10.

J. Michael Neal