From:
"T. N. Long" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
T. N. Long
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:23:21 -0500
Anthony J. Buffa wrote:

>Again, YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT> Top 20 are all ABOUT the same quality,

Sorry, but I can't be convinced that #20 and #1 are even close to the same
quality.

>regardlesss.... look at the POINT. I will bow out at this point. The
>POINT is not about niagara, but about the rating systems.

I don't know what makes Tony think that I've missed the POINT.  The POINT
is that we now have one piece of empirical data that confirms that Niagara
should have been in the top eight of any rating system.  If anyone is going
to try to sell a new rating system, it should reflect actual outcomes.
Maybe I'm just being too logical about the verification and validation
aspects of any mathematical model.

>Tony
>
>PS: I am tired of saying it, because obviously I feel RPI deserved a
>shot, but Niagara "done good" and deserves to be ranked in the top 20,
>but can anyone really say a few decimal places distingusih #12 from #8,
>I dout it. But again, my point is we are all arguming about two DIFF
>things. Separate out your love for Niagara from the discussion at hand,

This comment is really entertaining because I have absolutely no "love for
Niagara".  I am only a fan in the sense that I appreciate the power of
being able to put 15 seniors who have played together for four years on a
single team.  Niagara can now fade to black as far as I'm concerned.  I
just got into this because I was fascinated by the "don't confuse me with
the facts" theme that has evolved concerning Niagara and the unwillingness
to simply say "I guess the PWR really was a good indication of Niagara's
proper place in 2000 D1 hockey".  However, I have been enlightened, and I
do now understand that the commentaries are primarily being made in
attempts to defend rating systems that placed Niagara somewhere lower than
their tournament performance demonstrated.

Once again, get ready for Wayne State in 2003!

Terry

>the ratings.
>
>=====================
>
>[log in to unmask] wrote:
>>
>> Anthony J. Buffa wrote
>>
>> >At the risk of jumping into the fray as a mediator (an unusual role for
>> >those of you that know me :-)
>> >
>> >..... TNL, I dont think anyone has said they actually disagree with
>> >Niagara being picked .... and the quality of the team. Clearly they are
>> >in the top 20 in the country.... the arguments have been, and continue
>>
>> If you deny that Niagara is not in the top 12 in the country. then you
>> disagree with Niagara being picked.  I know a lot of people really don't
>> want to be confused with the facts, but Niagara did prove themselves to be
>> CLEARLY in the top 8 in the country.

T. N. Long
TN Tech. Phi Delta Theta #102