From:
"Carlson, Eric (Alaska)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carlson, Eric (Alaska)
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:29:24 -0600
Actually, I was pretty impressed by the Wayne State team here in Fairbanks.
They played 20 freshmen both nights--that's the first and last time I ever
expect to see that--and were much better than anyone might have expected in
a 3-1 loss and 3-3 tie with UAF.  They'd just added three European players
and had two solid goaltenders.  Carlson stopped 46 of 49 in the tie in
Fairbanks and Guerrera stopped of 31 of 34 here and 46 of 47 in a 3-1 win to
end the season against Clarkson.  Still you'd be hard pressed to put them
any better than about #45 or #46 among D1 teams this year and they were
inconsistent from one night to the next.  But Wilkinson is a good coach and
they appeared to be setting up a promising program with some good people
behind it.  I don't expect to see them making a run at a national
championship in three years, but they may well have a pretty good hockey
team.  It'll be interesting to watch and see if they can continue to develop
from this year's start.  Wilkinson did an awesome job of recruiting with
very little time to do it but that sure makes recruiting interesting after
this year.  How do you recruit when you have that many freshmen?

Eric Carlson