From:
Jeff Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:57:08 -0400
At 01:36 PM 4/20/99 -0500, Melissa Hambruch wrote:
>I'm surprised that inline sales are down.  Roller hockey tournaments
>are really picking up, especially the NHL Breakout and NARCH.  RHI
>is really popular in Buffalo and Detroit, and I was under the impression
>that inline hockey is growing.  I'm the PR intern for an RHI team, and
>I think it's a great sport--really exciting--and a good place to find
>the
>"whatever happened to's."  If you ever have the chance to go to an
>RHI game, it's definitely worth going.

The statement was made that in-line sales were down and then a reference to
the troubles that Rollerblade is going through as the evidence to support
it.  I would argue that Rollerblade downsizing and the growth of the sport
are unrelated.  The competition in that market is pretty stiff now with
everyone getting in the act of marketing skates from Toys R Us to Nike.
That relates directly to Rollerblades problems.

However, I would not argue against the fact that I don't see as many people
rollerblading in my neighborhood as I use to.  I think the sport went
through a fad like market for several years in the early 90's and now all
those people who bought skates still have them and brush the dust off a few
times a year.  I bought my skates back in 1986 and still use them.  Will I
buy a new pair, probably not, these will last me at least another 10 years.