From:
"Cutler, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cutler, Ken
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:21:46 -0500
I think Clay is essentially correct.  While HS hockey in MN is not perhaps
as big as basketball in Indiana, in part because there is also HS basketball
in MN, there is an identification with the community, whether the school is
public or private and even the privates aren't like prep schools because
there is no boarding.  Therefore, there is extensive newspaper coverage with
stories and box scores.  And, the HS hockey tournament is similar to the
Indiana basketball tournament with extensive TV coverage of all winners
bracket games for both divisions.

Some good players always left the state but the proliferation of D-1
programs in the state certainly affects the Gophers as does the tendency to
recruit before the season starts rather than at the end of the season.
Obviously some players don't really develop in their senior year but have
already signed tenders.  Also, I suspect the growth of Junior A leagues has
helped other out of state talent develop.