From:
"Cutler, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cutler, Ken
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:24:52 -0500
One point that I would disagree with Vicki on is the supposed watering down
of caliber and competition in Minnesota. Minnesota still produces a number
of D-1 players every year.  Some go directly from HS while others get
experience in Junior A first.  But we will never get back to the good old
days that the old timers here seem to recall because hockey is more
widespread throughout the U.S. In the old days you could expect players from
MN, Michigan and Massachusetts with perhaps an occasional player from
elsewhere.  Now good players are produced in many states, with the increase
in number of indoor rinks and increase in Junior A teams. Yes, there are
some Minnesotans who now play on the U.S. 17 and 16 teams and some who play
Junior A instead of HS.  But, these are more often than not players from
teams that weren't going to do much in HS so rather than play on a mediocre
HS team they choose Junior A. The competition is still excellent in
Minnesota even though they have ruined our state tournament by dividing into
two divisions so that the smaller school division produces some pretty weak
teams.  Plus, the players don't turn their lives upside down chasing a
chimerical dream.  They get to be regular HS students participating in other
school activities as well as other sports.