From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:46:39 +0100
Arthur Berman responds:

>On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Karen/Greg Ambrose wrote:
>
>> >From what I understand about Canadian college, most of the players, as you
>> say, have finished juniors, have no realistic chance to go on as a pro and,
>> for the most part, are going through the motions as they go to school.  My
>> observations from the teams UNH plays at the start of every season -
>> Concordia, Ottawa, Dalhousie, etc. - are that they have limited talent,
>> don't care and goon it up if they get the chance.
>>
>I can't comment on any other school, but my spouse taught accounting and
>business courses at the University of Alberta (not your basketweaving
>stuff) and was quite impressed as a group by the hockey players in her
>classes who did at least as well as the others.  And as I said in my first
>post, within the context of Canadian college hockey there is no more
>successful team than the U of A.
>
>> Arthur, don't mistake college hockey for football and basketball.  The
>> players I come across, while for the most part not Einsteins, are intent on
>> getting their degree.
>>
>Believe me, I'd much rather you were right than I on this topic.

Don't get me wrong, not every kid who comes through UNH is going to be like
Jason Krog, either on or off the ice.  However, much is made in the media
of graduation rates of D1 football and basketball players each year.  Some
schools graduate less than 10% in a five year period.  I am comfortable in
saying that, at least at UNH, the rate is over 90% for those who stay in
school for four years.  And most of them do.

Greg Ambrose