From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:34:52 -0400
And I'm sure that Minnesota could have a quite respectable symphony
orchestra, drama department, engineering school, and college of veterinary
medicine with the students and faculty coming only from Minnesota.  Are any
of these organizations subsidized by the Minnesota taxpayers?  Did the 28%
of the student body who are not Minnesota residents come from somewhere that
has no state university that had no symphony orchestra, drama department,
engineering school etc. whatever their particular interest is?  Does the
fact that the U of M offers reduced tuition to residents of North Dakota,
South Dakota, and (gasp!) Manitoba mean that the University as a whole
doesn't have the "higher mission" that the hockey team has?

While I realize that this is a college hockey forum, I think that to argue
that the men's hockey team has some sort of "higher mission" than the rest
of the university is to put hockey on a pedestal that it doesn't deserve.

Clay