From:
"Alton A. Hollingsworth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alton A. Hollingsworth
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:14:57 -0600
For the record, here is a complete list of the performances of host
teams in the West regional under the current format (with seedings):

     1994--at Michigan State
#3 Mass Lowell 4, #6 Michigan State 3

     1995--at Wisconsin
#4 Wisconsin 5, #5 Michigan State 3
#1 Michigan 4, #4 Wisconsin 3

     1996--at Michigan State
#4 Mass Lowell 6, #5 Michigan State 2

     1997--at Michigan
#3 Michigan 2, #6 Princeton 1
#3 Michigan 4, #2 North Dakota 3

The host teams are 3-3 in regional action, and have one upset win in
four opportunities (an upset being defined as a game won by a lower
seed).  The one upset (last Saturday) was the #4 team in the PWR over
the #2 team--not a very big upset.

I believe Men's Division I Basketball is the only NCAA team sport that
does not at least have regionals on-campus.  Personally, I like it much
better with an arena full of partisan fans, whether they are partisan
for (as in 1997) or against (as in 1994 and 1995) my team.  I look
forward to more regionals in Munn, Yost, Dane (or Kohl), Omaha's arena
(whatever it's called), and even ValueCity(tm) Arena At The
Schottenstein Center in Columbus, Ohio.

As far as Yost being a dump...

It's not a dump, it only looks like one.   The metal seats are more
comfortable than Munn's fiberglas seats, although I wouldn't have
wanted to sit on one of Yost's wooden seats all weekend.

Go Maize!

Alton