From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:49:44 -0500
Hi -

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Eeyore wrote:
> Edward N. Moller wrote:
>> BU is ranked fifth in the nation in total offense, but don't ask me why.
>
> It would be a stretch to look at a team that's fifth in the nation in
> scoring and say that their strength is team defense.  In the games I've
> watched and with the stats I've picked up, it seems that scoring is down
> all over.

  Well, not everywhere, particularly in Hockey East.  According to the
(unofficial) scoring stats compiled by USCHO, the Top 11 Point getters in
all of DivI college hockey skate for Hockey East Teams.  And, not coinci-
dentally, the only HE representatives in the National Goaltending stats
are BU's oustanding tandem of T. Noble and M. Larocque.  Defensive, low-
scoring games are not that unusual in both Western Leagues this season
(numerous 2-1 and 1-0 games, and even a 0-0 tie), but HE teams, and to a
lesser extent certain teams in the ECAC, have been putting up gaudy
offensive numbers with some regularity.  Clarkson pasted RPI 11-0, UNH
walloped Merrimack 11-4, etc.  Are the snipers just that good, or has team
defense (from the keepers on out) not yet adapted to keep pace ??  BU is
blessed with an outstanding, upperclassmen-dominated, tournament-tested
defensive corps, and Hughes, Allen, etc. at BC will only get better with
time/experience, but as for the rest of the League, well, the words "ade-
quate" and "so-so" come to mind.  If you want offense in 1997-98, come
East young man/woman, 'cos we got it here for you in spades ....

  Cheers from the Chesapeake - Jim
  Go Blue !!!  Beat those Terriers !!!