From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 18:25:37 -0500
On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, D B Doucette wrote:

> Now, based on the above, let me get this straight...your conclusions are:
>
> (1) The ORIGINAL post (by "Greg" - Hmmm, a bit too familiar for my tastes,
> how well do the two parties know each other) was OK, but NOT the many

For the record, I met Greg in Milwaukee.  My use of his first name was
related to the fact that I "know" him from his frequent posts to Hockey-l.
To call me his "buddy" is a wild stretch of the imagination.  Anyway, UNH
has beaten RPI the last three times they've played.  In fact I've never
seen RPI beat UNH.  So I don't think you can put me in their corner.

> (2) You want discussion on the list limited solely to matters which happen
> on the ice.
>
> Bad logic on the matter in question.
>
> Mr. Morris, would you please read the article in question from the Globe
> (being forwarded to you off-list from the Maine list), and then the Ambrose
> original post in response thereto, and tell us all where you can find any
> "talk about the hockey played on the ice" ?  The problem is not, sir, with
> the many responses, it is with the initial post on this subject, by the
> Ambroses.  Admonishment is best directed to them for re-starting this in
> the first place.

Thank you for forwarding the article.  I confess I don't really care that
much about it.

> It was PURELY "invective and diatribe" and "inflammatory rhetoric" when, in
> their initial post, the editorial comments were offered by your buddy Greg
> -- read it again --
>
> >for this observer anyway, it is
> >comforting to know that at least some people, including prospective
> >students and their parents, have included the former UMaine
> >administration's handling of the Shawn Walsh debacle as a factor when
> >making a decision on the worthiness of the school.
> >
> >I would have to say that the school is paying the price with its
> >transgressions, even if Walsh is not.
>
> Mr. Morris, if you couldn't see that Ambrose's first post was flame bait,
> and you question why there have been so many responses thereto (if you
> would kindly give serious consideration to the facts as have been presented
> in a reasoned fashion in nearly all the responses), then, on this subject,
> you are...
>
> I was going to call you [something I have deleted myself, but not
> profanity], but you might consider that to be "name-calling".  So, let me
> say, instead, you, on this subject, are -- a good case study of episodes of
> faulty logic.

 So much for being a philosophy major in college.

> Want to complain about HOCKEY-L bandwidth being chewed up by endless
> discussions about off-ice topics, join me in saying -- stop posts which
> comment about polls.
> To use your own words -- "Why does a topic such as this generate more
> comment than the games" ?  Good question.

 And I won't add to the problem by commenting anymore about this.  I hope
people can still see each other out on the list as friends.  I do, but
maybe that's outdated.  I still hope to meet as many of you out there as I
can in Boston.  But, then, so what.
Brian Morris                RPI Engineers--Just Forget About It