From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1991 10:42:21 EST
Ted writes

> Last season in dear old Walker, one ref threated to apply that rule to
> the band. The ref had just made a particularly repugnant call and the
> band kicked into 3 sightless rodents, and before they had even set up
> for the face off, the ref skates over to in front of us (the face-off
> was in the end in front of us) and shakes a finger at us and goes to
> our bench to tell the coach to stop us or he was going to call a
> penalty. He never did. We continued to play the ditty for the
> rest of the game.

The game you are referring to is the 3-3 Clarkson-Cornell tie at Walker last
year, and the referee was Pierre Belanger.  I'm sure this comes as no surprise
to Lynah Rink fans who cringe just at the mention of his name.  ("Pierre has no
hair! Pierre has no hair!")  I don't know if he's a good ref or not. I suppose
he is to some degree since he does keep control of a game, but the problem is,
he is so arrogant and on such a power trip that he calls stupid and irrational
penalties just to prove that HE is the referee and that this is HIS hockey
game.  I've seen him call delay of game penalties on players who couldn't get
settled in the face-off cirle rather than just letting them get thrown out
(late in close games too) and I've heard him verbally abuse players and then
call penalties on them when they respond in ANY way (eg. Etienne Belzile
getting a misconduct after Belanger badgered him most of the night).
One year, I can't remember the opponent (it may have been RPI), a Rob Levasseur
goal was disallowed at Lynah because Belanger, who was badly screened from the
play, said he kicked it in.  Everyone in the area heard the puck hit wood
including a linesman.  When told that the linesman heard wood, Belanger
responded, "I don't care if God heard it hit wood, I say he kicked it."  (Quote
obtained from a Cornell player.)

If he doesn't already, Belanger needs to bring security with him to Lynah to
escape alive most of the time.  Do any other rinks even notice him, or is it
just Cornell?"

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95