From:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1991 16:25:04 LCL
 >James Rogers wrote:

> does anyone have any other LAPPIN cheers
>besides Baseball team, hockey team, batman.?

When St. Lawrence played Cornell in Ithaca on the night of Nov 22, the Lynah
Faithfuls certainly did not let the Lappin brothers off easily.  There was
plenty of "baseball player, hockey player" cheers, and numerous "baseball bats"
cheers (espeically when one of them got a high stick penalty, I believed).

Someone in Section B (the prime student section) who was evidently artistic
made a poster showing two guys swinging baseball bats with a guy in the middle.
 The poster read "Hey Lappins" (on the top)  "It's Miller Time" (on the
bottom).  Whenever there was a face-off never the glass in front of  Section B,
that poster was held up to catch either Lappin's attention.

Cornell dealt SLU its only ECAC loss so far that night, 5-1, effectively shut
down the  Lappin brothers and the powerful SLU team.  As Pete Tufford mentioned
on the radio broadcase, the main difference that night was the fact that he
hardly mentioned the Lappin names throughout the game.

One more thing about St. Lawrence:  I remembered in Spring 1989 when St.
Lawrence played Vermont in the ECAC championship, the Cornell fans who stayed
the second night to watch the game tried to dampen the Saints fans by adding T
every time they yelled "SLU"(T).  Well, the Vermont fans thought that was very
funny or amusing, and began to yell "UVM" with a "T" added.  Granted that you
can abbreviate Vermont to VMT, but it did make sense like SLUT did.  Anyway, I
never found out if the Vermont fans figured it out or not.

Tom Y. Tseng '87