From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 01:23:17 -0400
At 4:13 PM -0800 11/8/96, Klein, Steve wrote:
> Sorry. I should have been more specific about my objection to the thread.
> We visit this thread every year.
> What makes this year's thread different is that no one is coming to the
> refs' defense.
> I don't like some refs, either.
> I just don't think it's fair to knock them this way.

Agreed.  I would usually come to the defense of the officials, but I guess
I too thought it was a "silly thread". :-)

And it seems to me that at one time or another, someone from almost every
ECAC school has said that Pierre Belanger either seems to have something
against their team or is "banned" from doing their team's games. :-)

BTW, on the question of asst referees calling penalties, Chuck Wynters
called three minors (that I noticed) in Friday's Merrimack vs. Mass Lowell
game on NESN.  All three were against UML.  Looked like good calls, but UML
fans seemed upset at the fact that their team was the one he was calling
penalties against.  Referee was Tim Benedetto.  Each time, Wynters skated
to Benedetto and told him what he saw, and Benedetto went to the scorers'
table and made the call.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****