From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1991 10:02:53 EST
How is it that Clarkson keeps looking at 14-3 and 12-3 power-play
disadvantages?  I think I know now why Cornell lost to them.  The Red was too
tired from SLU the night before to draw enough penalties to have a decent shot.
As someone else commented a while ago, that kind of penalty-taking is going to
have to stop if they want to have a reasonable shot come NC@! tourney time.  It
will also hurt them in the ECAC tourney where Clarkson has regularly found its
way to the final game, but usually managed to lose. (Including last year's win,
I believe they are 2-6 in ECAC championship games.)

Rivalry Note: Clarkson-Cornell has become quite a rivalry in recent years (at
least from a Cornell perspective) largely in part to the 4 consecutive ties the
two teams played to from 1989-1991 until Cornell won at Lynah last February.
Almost all the games (excepting this last one, Clarkson 4-1 at Lynah) have been
close with Cornell getting the better of the series since the fall of '87 at
7-2-4. (No, Clarkson fans, I DO NOT count that "mini-game" tie-breaker in the
ECAC Quarterfinals in '88).  The other reason it's a rivalry is that we hate
their band.  They are loud, obnoxious, rude, play out-of-turn (faux pas of
pep-band etiquette), and, while we other pep-band geeks hate to admit it, they
are the best band in the conference (Cornell is #2 though, not bad for a group
that never rehearses.).

RDS--Cornell PepBand '91 (mellophone)

--
R. David Smith (Dave) [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95