From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:42:00 EST
Sean Pickett asks:
>Basically, do you care more about winning the NCAA Championship, or
>seeing a great team every year?

Before I say anything, it has to be totally clear that I speak only for
myself (as always).  I know a lot of UM fans that have a different
view.  And, I think my answer would be different if I didn't have first
hand experience with the question, but...

Having been a Michigan fanatic for years, and attending the vast
majority of UM games (home and road) in the 1990s, I've been
blessed seeing the winningest team of the decade.  Now I'm
hungry for an NCAA title.  I'm getting to the point where I'd mortgage
the future to win a title.  Maybe this is a selfish point of view, I don't
know.  We try not to talk about it around here.  It's evident that Coach
Berenson and the Wolverine players are striving for the NCAA
title.  They put enough pressure on themselves.  They don't need
(or deserve) to receive any pressure from the fans.  We've been
treated to a tremendous product during the Berenson era.  And,
I'm going to love these guys and be there for them whether they win
it all or get knocked out in their first game.

However, if I had the power to determine Michigan's fate for the
next 5 years, and my only options were (A) an NCAA appearance
every year but no titles or (B) an NCAA title this year then a
period of mediocrity...I'd chose (B).  I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

Turning from the national to conference level, I'd like to hear
from a Miami fan on the fortunes of the Redskins in the 1990s.
I don't have the CCHA standings memorized, but Miami's path
went something like basement to fifth to first back to fifth and
they've been in the middle ever since.  They have one CCHA
title sandwiched around mediocrity.  What does that feel like?

John H (U Mich) [log in to unmask]
Btw...I don't care if Michigan wins the NCAA title with Michiganders,
Minnesotans, Canadians or Klingons.  If a kid chooses to attend
Michigan, he will forever be a Michigan man.