From:
"Tuthill, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tuthill, Richard
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 10:33:00 EST
     Thanks a lot,  Wayne.   I got quite a chuckle out of that trivia
question!!

     Actually,  those statistics are a fluke.   They are primarily due to
three games that UConn played against D-1 teams that play traditionally in
the lower D-3 level:  Iona,  Villanova,  and Fairfield.   The brainchild for
this scheduling was Coach C. at Canisius,  and the idea was that all 7
independent D-1's in the East start to play each other every year.   This
may,  over time,  work out.   I don't know.   But it was a little
disappointing to see how far the lower level teams must come to even join
Canisius,  Holy Cross,  Army,  and UConn.   Against Iona and Villanova UConn
took 66 shots each night.   I forget the scores,  something like 15-1.   And
of course,  the very next weekend,  UConn drew Middlebury;  and,  that
didn't turn out so well.   If only that game against Canisius (5-4 UConn)
could have been shoehorned in before Middlebury ....

     Oh,  and UConn drew S. Maine (new to the ECAC East) early,  and that
was 9-1.   But I should hasten to add that captains Ryan Equale and
(defenseman) John Dunmar are certainly the real deal.   I have no idea why
either one of them is not in true D-1.

     MISCELLANEOUS:   Is there new information about Walsh's interim payment
to suggest that he lied about it,  or was that Ryan's independent
conclusion?   I think a lot about whether Walsh stays or goes will depend
upon whether or not he has back-up documentation that withstands scrutiny
for the $1200.

     Having started the season not daring to hope that Clarkson would even
get to go to the NCAA's this year,  I am beginning to suspect that they
might  ...  just  ...  have a shot at  ...  a first night bye in the East
regional (knock on wood).   If that,  in fact happens,  it would be one heck
of a coaching achievement.   The next few ECAC game are going to be
critical,  and very very interesting.   I hope everyone's exams turned out
well:-):-)

     -- Dick Tuthill