From:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 10:42:02 -0500
> I thought it was revealed last year that the U Mass rink was just shy of full
> Olympic dimensions, coming in at 200x95 or 98.  Could anyone (Leigh?) verify
> the actual dimensions?  And if it isn't certifiable Olympic dimensions, explain
> why it was built that way?

        Both of the rinks at the Mullins Center measure 200 x 100 and to
the best of our knoledge it is the only on-campus facility in the county
with two full Olympic sized sheets. Last year's media guide listed it as
being 200 x 95, which led to some confusion, but it is a full-sized
Olympic rink. At the very least it certainly looks huge from high above in
the pres box, all the other rinks on the road look like places I played
at in high school by comparison.
        How Mullins will play a role in the World Junior Championships
will be interesting. It's the only site which has a full Olympic sheet and it
will be interesting to see how the European teams use that to their advantage.
Northeastern's Matthews Arena is a slightly-over-NHL rink at 200 x 90
after the renovation, but BC's Conte Forum, the Centrum, the Springfield
Civic Center and the NE Sports Complex all have standard, NHL sized ice.
        I can't wait to get up to UNH now after hearing so many good things.
Too bad HE won't let us do it until February.

Leigh