From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 16:17:00 EDT
Following up Nathan Boyle's post regarding last night's
Western Ontario at Bowling Green game, a 7-3 BGSU win.

I wasn't as impressed with the Falcons as Nathan was,
but they were clearly the dominant team.  They skated
and moved the puck MUCH better than Western Ontario,
even though the Mustangs had already played four games.
Most of BGSU's goals were the result of perseverance
and sloppy play on the part of UWO.  No real highlight
material goals.

I do agree with Nathan that Chad Ackerman played a solid
game at both ends, and freshman netminder Mike Savard
made a nice debut.  Of the two goals he let in, one was a
puckhandling mistake on his part near the net and the other
was fluky as a rebound deflected high and before Savard
could locate the puck it had fallen behind him and in.  UWO
didn't truly *beat* him all night.  (BGSU's other freshman
goaltender, Jason Piwko, was beaten.  Badly.  He barely
moved on the loan shot he faced, which was ripped right
past him.  UWO appeared to score on him again, but the
play was whistled dead prior to the goal.)  Petrie and Savard
should be a steady tandem for Buddy Powers this season.

>Dan Price made his first goal also.

Price made a positive impression on me.  He banged some
bodies as well as entering the scoring column.  And, his
jubilant goal celebration would have been worth 15 yards
in college football.  :-)  (Always nice to see the excitement
of someone's first goal.)

>The Falcons Jersey's looked....nice.  A distinct break with the past.

Hmm.  BGSU looked too much like the Philadelphia Flyers,
to me.  I'm interested in seeing their away jerseys, which I've
been told are burnt orange with white shoulders/sleeves.
I'd also like to see #19 retired.

All in all, a fun night of hockey.

John H - U Mich - [log in to unmask]