From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 20:10:27 EDT
In keeping with the recent thread about Catholiic Memorial graduates, this one
from this morning's T-U

Tim Regan had his moments since first pulling a cherry red and white RPI game sw
sweater over his head as a freshman.  But more often the senior from the Boston
area has been haunted by his potential

That seemed OK before.  Through all of it--the injuries, the slumps--there was anothe
another opportunity, another season for which to look forward.  But now, as he
prepares for his senior season, the right wing has forced himself into a mode
of not-so-quiet desperation.

He knows there's just no more time to waste.  The next six months--beginning
with the season opener against Lowell, might be the last crack he has at
enjoying the best days of his life as a hockey player.

"You know there's no coming back and you don't want to have any regrets," said
Regan.  "Every game that's in the back of your mind.  If you miss a check, you
think about it.  You don't ever want to walk away and say I should have, I could
have..."

Thoughts of the end.

It might be just what Tim Regan needs to jump-start him into action; to make him
the player then-head coach Buddy Pwers once predicted would be a mode of
perpetual hustle and attitude.

The type of player coach Dan Fridgen see as his kind of guy.  When Fridgen p
played at Colgate, he wasn't very big.  But Fridgen played with such ferocity th
that he often led the Red Raiders in both goal-scoring and penalty minutes.

Regan was that sort of player while at Catholic Memorial High, Boston's famed
incubator of noteworthy American-born hockey players.  Now a team leader and
assistant captain, Regan feels he can be that type player again, and on a
consistent basis, while the sun sets on his college hockey career.

"i don't really care what happens afterward, just as long as I leave everything
on the ice this year."

Last season was his best yeat as a college player (it helps to play with Brian
Richardson--mine)  He had 12 goals in 35 games, scoring 3 goals in 2 goals in
the ECAC Championships.

But a knee injury and an early season slump kept his numbers far below what they couldthey
could have been.

"I feel like I haven't been able to have a consistent season.  When I get going, g
I either get injured or hit a slump.  it's been up and down.  Some of it's
mental, some of it I can't help," said Regan.

With the loss of six senior forwards REgan returns as a key component on RPI's
most experienced line.  Senior center Brian Richardson (23-24--47) is an All-
American candidate and outstanding playmaker, and senior left wing Jeff O'Connor
a capable checker and goal scorer.

"I can't picture myself playing with anybody else.  We know each other so well."

Right now the three are together again in training camp, but whether they'll s
stay that way will be up to Fridgen, who might split them up in an effort to se
seek balanced experience on his other lines.

But should they remain together, Regan could be the key to the line (?).
Richardson and O'Connor need someone to feed, and RPI needs an agressive right
wing who's capable of crashing the net, and chirping it up until an opposing
player swings hhis stick and lands in the penalty box.  After all, stirring
opporsing forwards and defensemen into an unsettling out-of-control frenzy is wh
what Regan does best.

"I'm so excited about this year.  People don't thing much of us right now, but I
really think we're going to make an impact on this league.  I really want to be
a big part of that.  (Ahh,preseason hopes and dreams, when you're undefeated.)

------by Bob Croce

This Saturday at 10 am RPI will play its annual Red vs. White scrimmage.  It
will be the first opportunity to answer such questions as who is going to play
next to Healy, will Aldous play defense, will every forward try to play with
Richardson, etc.
Brian Morris                 RPI ENgineers--1995 ECAC Champions