From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 1991 14:51:20 GMT
The University of Massachusetts at Amherst, the largest (I believe) state
school in Mass., is building a new arena as we speak.  I first heard of it
this weekend when I was at UMass visiting someone and saw the rink in person
(no rumors like the Boston Garden!).  Actually, this was the first I knew
it was really happening; I had heard rumors a few years ago but that's all.

Upon completion, it will immediately become the largest rink in the East and
possibly all of college hockey.  It will seat an estimated 10,000 for hockey
(I know UIC is a little over 10K), basketball capacity unknown.  The arena
will contain 2 ice sheets, one practice.  I don't know if they will be
Olympic-sized.

Completion date is scheduled to be sometime in 1993 and the school supposedly
plans to begin a DivIII hockey program in fall of that year.  Aspirations
will clearly be to move up to DivI, according to UMass sports information,
but no timeframe has been set nor do they have any idea who will be hired
as coach.  (UMass-Amherst is a DivI school.)

I think this is great news for college hockey, because for a long time I've
been saying that UMass-Amherst is a school that should have hockey.  The
Minutemen would not have much trouble recruiting with a new rink, a quality
school, a beautiful campus, and hopefully a solid coaching staff.  Unlike
the Boston area schools, I wouldn't be surprised if UMass comes close to
selling out most games since the school is really out in the middle of
nowhere.

As for Hockey East, it and UMass seem to be a perfect match.  UMass already
has rivalries with other HE schools (UNH, Maine, BU) in other sports like
football and basketball, and there is the potential for a rivalry with
UMass-Lowell.

Don't ask me where they are getting the money to build the rink,
with the financial havoc that has been wreaked on Mass. colleges lately.
I wouldn't be surprised if they are crossing their fingers just to get the
thing finished.

I wonder if this will inspire UConn to move up its program.

Remember, you heard it here first.  UMass-Amherst into Hockey East in
several years.

- mike ("scoop")