Subject:
[[log in to unmask]: Flames 7, USA 3]
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1991 14:57:19 GMT
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 91 07:46:02 -0700
From: [log in to unmask] (Roland Behunin;OO-ALC/LILABD)
Subject: Flames 7, USA 3

I will post box score if I can get it.

Someone asked for impressions of the Olympic Team USA if anybody had a
chance to see them.  Last night in Salt Lake City, Calgary Flames Vs.
U.S.A. Olympic team. Flames 7 - USA 3.  I do not have a box score at
present. As the papers in Salt Lake do not give much coverage to
hockey, I may have to see if I can talk the Eagles office out of a box
score, or see if one of the fans I know managed to keep a box score
last night.

There is a lot of talented players on the Olympic Team U.S.A., they
looked good in the first period, got a short handed goal, and only
allowed on goal.  Gordon <Quebec> played goal for USA.  Both teams
were looking tired by end of 1st period.  I do not know when Team
U.S.A. arrived in town, by the Flames arrived in town at 11:15
yesterday.

During the 2nd and 3rd periods, team USA was making stupid mistakes,
and missing passes.  It looks like team USA needs work on teamwork and
line combinations.  Quit a few of the players on Team USA I have seen
play in the IHL, either with the Salt Lake Golden Eagles, or against
the Eagles, also  since I have I satellite dish, I have managed to
watch a few college games, and having seen most of the players before,
the talent is there, they just need to put it together.

CJ Young <last year-Salt Lake> for team USA, Mark Ozeski <sp> was
skating for Calgary, I do not know if Ozeski was cut from team USA, or
if he was just Skating with Calgary to fill out the squad because all
of Calgary's players are not in training camp yet because of the
Canada Cup <Suter, Fluery, Otto, and I think there were a couple
others?>.  Ozeski does belong to Calgary, but has been on all the
Olympic Team USA roster I have seen until yesterday.

After the game, Team USA had a reception to attend, do not know where
or with who, but President Bush was in town, staying across the street
>from the Salt Palace where the game was played.  This made parking a
mess! More cops and secret service agents running the streets, and you
couldn't go through the hotel to the mall for dinner, you had to walk
around the hotel to get into the mall.  If I find out anything more
about the reception I will try to post it.  If I get a box score I
will also try to post that.

roland