From:
Lloyd Hsu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 11:14:59 PST
>Tracy seems to be playing much poorer this year even though he is "the man"
>for
>the Crimson, after Israel bolted for Hershey.  IMO Tracy was a force in his
>freshman year, highlighted by that epic performance against BU in the
>Beanpot.
>Tracy repeated his magic in the following year's Beanpot, only to be
>overshadowed by BC's Greg Taylor, which led me to sing his praises to my HE
>friends when I encountered them at the Knick later in the year.  Maybe Tracy
>is to comfortable in his role, now that Israel isn't around to challenge him
>between the pipes.

These are good points and it's definitely great to work in a regular
two-goalie rotation. I think the competition is very healthy for the
goaltenders and there is security when one man goes down to injury.

But about Tracy, people were already starting to voice their concerns last
year about Tracy's goaltending weaknesses (getting way out of position after
the first shot, etc.). Even though he had a decent year, he was playing in
front of an incredible defense, and I think most people following Harvard
agree that Israel was clearly the better of the two goalies last year.
Therefore, losing Israel (prematurely) this year was a big loss to the Crimson.

Tracy is probably feeling some fatigue, having to play the entire season, but
I also feel he wasn't a night-in, night-out "star" goaltender like Roy,
Dunham, Snow, and Israel. I was hoping that Coach Tomassoni would have played
Steve Hermsdorf more this year. He has spent his entire college career waiting
behind Roy, Hughes, Israel, and Tracy. Just seems kind of unfortunate.

*  Lloyd Hsu                       *   UNIX Development              *
*  [log in to unmask]              *   Oracle Corporation            *
*  (415) 506-6938                  *   Redwood Shores, CA            *