From:
"Robert L. Dunn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert L. Dunn
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 1994 08:17:34 -0500
On Tue, 20 Dec 1994, Ralph N. Baer wrote:

> Jeff Brune recently stated that CC was seriously considering
> terminating its Div-I hockey program a couple of years ago.  I know
> that in the late 1960's RPI was also considering taking this step.  I
> am curious as to what other schools, especially the non-Div-I schools
> that play hockey at the Div-I level, have seriously investigated taking
> this step.  I seem to recall St Lawrence once considering this also,
> but I might be mistaken.

Ferris State came very close in 1992 to dropping hockey, its only Division
I sport and closing Ewigleben Arena.  The University was faced with
budget problems and placed them on a list of programs to be cut.  But
with strong community and student support, the Ferris State University
Board of Control passed a resolution allowing the hockey program and ice
arena to continue to operate.

* Robb Dunn                         University of Michigan *
* Project Administrator                   Sport Facilities *
*                                      Research Laboratory *
* [log in to unmask]            Cal '93, Michigan '94 and '97 *