From:
Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Reed H Munson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 21:37:50 -0600
Well this weekend could be the biggest matchup so far this season in the
WCHA. Colorado College hosts Minnesota.... I'm cranked and the puck won't
drop for another 24 hours! What do you-all WCHA'ers out there think of
this matchup? Is Minn heading into trouble? Was their 6 - 0 start just a
6 - 0 start? Is CC as good as they look? Will MN be the first real
divisional challenge for them this year? So many questions... I guess
I'll have to wait until Saturday for all the answers.

From a Minnesota fan's perspective, here are some of my observations. The
Gophers seem to do best against fast-skating teams like themselves.
Hopefully CC is more this type of team than UND/MTU/DU were. The Gopher's
just don't seem to play physical games well. I don't know if it's because
we lack size or lack a player who isn't afraid to throw his body around
out on the ice. I think it's probably the latter -- the Goph's are
without Justin McHugh. McHugh is a small guy but he really plays big. I
think his charisma out on the ice inspired the other guys to play
tougher. Hopefully the Gophs can manage without him this weekend.

Defense: although the Gophers have yet to, "get their lunch handed to
them," as Doug Woog said after last Saturday's loss to DU, the Gopher's
Defense relies heavily on junior Dan Trebil and freshman Mike Crowley.
The St. Paul paper said today that these two defensemen have half of the
minutes among all the defensemen on the team. Can these 2 guys continue
to anchor the defense? Secondly, goaltending. Is Jeff Callinan going to
do it for the Gophs? It seemed last weekend Callie let in at least one
stopable (not that I, a lower-than-a-wiggly-worm-spectator am any judge)
goal. In each game one less goal against the Gophers could have made a
big difference in the game's outcome. But that doesn't matter anymore.
What the Gopher's have to start doing is going out there and scoring the
first goal! Sure an occasional come from behind victory is nice, but I
want to see the Gophs out there lighting up the board!!! Until MN can
start scoringing the first goal and holding the lead, any team with a good
defense that scores first can beat the Gophers.

Will the Gophers who played the first six games of the season please play
in Colorado this weekend? Please?..........