From:
Jeff Brune <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 20:29:19 MST
Reed Munso wrote:

>HOCKEY-L'ers,
>
>I thought Wallinheimo was pretty funny in net last Sunday against the
>Gophers. Does Wally act so cockey playing against other teams? It was
>really funny how he interacts with the crowd! He made some nice saves
>against MN, but is this guy for real?

        The answer is, yes, Wally is always this cocky.  Against Colorado
College Wallinheimo came out to center ice to do a techno dance after every
goal and pointed at the CC players after doing it.  He even did this at CC
when DU was losing 6-3 (the fans put him in his place by chanting "Scoreboard,
scoreboard").

        Wallinheimo's cocky attitude is representative of the DU
team.  In a recent Denver Post article about Chris Kenady, Kenady bragged about
how good he was, how he is going to be a star in the NHL, and how he doesn't
need an education.  Is this guy for real?  He proclaims himself to be an NHL
future star, and he was not even among the top 15 scorers in the WCHA.  What
infuriated me most was his comments about education.  He frankly admitted that
he doesn't worry about his education because his hockey skills will make him
plenty of money.  (This may sound unbelievable, but look it up in the November
29th Post)  Maybe it's just me, but aren't college hockey players supposed to
be *student* athletes?  People who have an attitude like Kenady should be in
the minor leagues rather than at universities.

        DU may be hot right now, but their attitude is setting them up for a
big fall.